About UCLA Extension
UCLA Extension is the continuing education division of the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA).
UCLA is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, and all courses and Certificates offered by UCLA Extension are developed and administered in accordance with UCLA Extension policy and the regulations of the Academic Senate of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
As one of the nation’s largest providers of professional continuing education, UCLA Extension offers:
- Over 5,000 diverse courses annually–day, evening, and weekend around LA and online
- Focused-curriculum Certificates designed for rapid career transition or advancement
- A wide range of academic disciplines including business, arts, engineering, IT, entertainment studies, public policy, public health, the humanities and more
- Customized programs to help companies meet workforce and training goals
- Undergraduate and post-graduate credit courses, continuing education units (CEUs) and enrichment non-credit options
- Annual conferences for restaurant industry professionals; tax attorneys and accountants; city planners/developers; and mental health professionals
Instructors who are Working Professionals
Extension’s courses are highly relevant because they combine theory with practical application, and typically are taught by professionals working in the industry. For example, some of Extension’s teachers include: Barbara Abercrombie, a best-selling author teaching novel-writing; White House appointee Dr. Jeannie Holm, who developed and teaches a knowledge management class; Margaret Meloni, program manager and consultant for Toyota who teaches project management, Judge Elizabeth White, who teaches in Extension’s paralegal program; Grammy-winning composer Marty Panzer who teaches song-writing; former CEO of Government National Mortgage Association Mark Buchman, who teaches finance and international business; and Sean Leonard, supervisor of the Disney Concert Hall construction project who teaches construction management.
Certificates—the perfect post-baccalaureate educational solution
While UCLA Extension offers a variety of individual courses, their strength lies in their professional Certificates. These Certificates consist of curricula specifically designed to provide the relevant knowledge and skills to further a career or move into a new one. The reasonable cost of a Certificate, and the speed with which the coursework can be completed make these an ideal educational solution for professionals who are not ready for a Masters or PhD, or for those with limited funds who need rapid results. Extension offers over 100 Certificates–many available online–in areas as diverse as accounting, film scoring, IT, marketing, supply chain management, web design, and more. Many provide the knowledge needed for professional accreditation, to pass tests (such as CPA or CFP), or fulfill licensing board requirements. In collaboration with other institutions, some Extension Certificates can apply towards advanced degrees, such as the Master’s Degree in Interior Architecture with Cal Poly Pomona, or the Master of Arts in Media Psychology & Social Change with Fielding Graduate University.